top of page

Famous UFO Cases

February 25, 1942 - The Battle of Los Angeles

Witnesses reportedly seeing a large, round object in the skies over Culver City and Santa Monica, California. US anti-aircraft guns fired more than 1,400 shells at the object with no visible effect upon the craft. Most reports described it as a saucer, pale orange in color and glowing.

February 25, 1996 - The Tether Incident

The incident took place on February 25, 1996, when NASA sent a tethered capsule into space to investigate new potential spacecraft power. The original NASA footage shows possible UFOs coming towards the tether.

August 5, 1995; August 23, 1995 - The Hawkins Incident

UFOs are seen by several witnesses on several days hovering over Redfish Point, Florida sometimes shooting bright beams toward the ground. On August 23, 1995, Hawkins and several other witnesses also spotted the object 10:15 pm on August 23rd.  The object he captured is similar to that of contractor Ed Walters, also shot over Gulf Breeze, semi-transparent, and self-illuminated with a formation or windows in the center of the UFO.

May 12, 2004 - Mexican Airforce Incident

Mexican Air Force pilots filmed 11 unidentified flying objects in the skies over southern Campeche state, confirmed by Mexico's Defense Department confirmed. Only three of the objects showed up on the plane's radar.

July 12 and July 29, 1952 - The Washington Flap

Unidentified flying objects were observed flying over the White House Capitol Building and the Pentagon from July 12 through 29, 1952. They were picked up on radar by the Washington National Airport and Andrews Air Force Base on July 19, 1952. The radar confirmed the objects initially traveling at about 100 M.P.H. but with the ability to accelerate to 7,200 mph.

November 11, 1987; 1993; August 23, 1995 - Gulf Breeze UFO Incidents

Gulf Breeze was a small city of approximately 6,000 at the time the wave of sightings began in the winter of 1987, and occurred numerous times in 1993 and 1995.The majority of attention was on Edward Walters, a local building contractor who observed the first sighting on November 11, 1987. He observed an object in the shape of a top that had a row of dark squares which were separated with portals between them. The craft hovered just above the road, showing a glowing ring around its bottom. Walters was then hit by a bright bluish beam which shot from the object which lifted him from the ground by the force.


June 12, 2008; July 30, 2007 – 2009; May 15, 2009 - Turkey UFOs Over Water

Several local residents observed multiple disk and oval-shaped aerial objects with a metallic appearance that maneuvered silently. In 2009, after attending a UFO conference near Istanbul, Dr. Roger Leir and seven other people observed and filmed the disk-shaped object hovering in the sky under a bright moon.


July 7, 2010 - The Xiao Shan Incident in China

An unidentified flying object (UFO) forced Xiao Shan Airport in Hangzhou, China to cease operations on July 7. A flight crew preparing for descent first detected the object around 8:40 p.m. and notified the air traffic control department. Aviation authorities responded within minutes, grounding outbound flights and diverting inbound ones to airports in Ningbo and Wuxi. Eighteen flights were affected.

1966; 1982 - Ukraine UFOs over Nuclear Weapon Sites

Former US servicemen testimony, including Robert Salas, Missile Launch Officer observe disk, cylindrical or spherical shaped UFOs moving from missile to missile and shooting beams of light shutting the missiles down.

December 26, 1980 - Rendlesham Forest Incident, Suffolk, England

RAF Bentwaters airbase used by the US Air Force during the Cold War until 1993. Military personnel discover levitating black triangle that lands in the forest. US Air Force security personnel John Burroughs and Jim Penniston observed the craft land in the forest. Col Charles Halt confirmed radar operators observed the object travel 60 mph in two or three seconds.

1984 - Hudson Valley Sightings, Brewster, NY

Reports of crafts as large as football fields, hovering and moving slowly then accelerating at incredible speed. Most witnesses described a V-shape or boomerang shaped craft. The sightings occurred many nights in a row over several months. Incidents were reported by multiple police witnesses and dozens of citizens.


Begins in 1989; Culminates on March 30, 1990 - Belgium Wave of Triangle UFOS

Wave triangle UFO sightings by hundreds of witnesses, including many police officers, in the skies over Belgium. Pilots attempted to engage several of the UFOs without success. Multiple drawings across the country show same craft. 140 sightings were reported on March 30th alone. Belgium Airforce declares it could not identify the nature, origin or intentions of the phenomenon.

March  13, 1997 - The Phoenix Lights

Massive, low, slow-moving triangle craft witnessed by hundreds across vast areas of Arizona. Hundreds officially report incident, including retired Governor of Arizona, Fife Symington. Craft was described as being approximately the size of an aircraft carrier (1000 foot long) or the equivalent of 3 football fields (900 foot).

2000 - St. Clair, Illinois Triangles

Massive triangle witnessed in Highland, Illinois. Later in Lebanon, Illinois a police officer is a witness seeing it 500 foot above him. The craft moves to Shiloh, Illinois and is observed by an officer in that town and then by more officers in the towns of Millstadt, Dupo and Highland.

2004 - Tinley Park, Illinois Triangles

Huge triangle shaped UFOs with lights on the bottom. 

Phoenix Lights Phenomenon, Phoenix, Arizona, March 1997

The Phoenix Lights (sometimes called the "Lights over Phoenix") were a series of widely-sighted, unidentified flying objects observed in the skies over Arizona, Nevada in the United States, and Sonora, Mexico on Thursday, March 13, 1997. The sighting comprised two principal parts: The spotting of a giant V-shaped craft displaying a number of lights or light-emitting thrusters and the sight of a series of stationary orange and red lights hanging in the sky. Lights of varying descriptions were seen by thousands of people between 19:30 and 22:30 MST, in a space of about 300 miles (480 km), from the Nevada line, through Phoenix, to the edge of Tucson. The lights were reported to have reappeared in 2007 and 2008. According to Arizona's KStar News, the governor of the state at the time, Fife Symington, claimed that he saw the lights. “I'm a pilot, and I know just about every machine that flies,” Symington said. “It was bigger than anything that I've ever seen. It remains a great mystery.”

Nimitz Tic-Tac UFO Incident, Location: California Coast, November 2004  

U.S. Navy pilot Cmdr. David Fravor recalled seeing “something not from this earth” while commanding a U.S. Navy strike fighter squadron during exercises some 60 to 100 miles off the coast of California. He recounted observing a tic-tac shaped vessel moving at great speed. The UFO was seen by a crew separate from Fravor that tracked the object and filmed it for more than a minute. The footage has now been declassified and published. The case was publicized by The New York Times following the Pentagon's acknowledgement of its Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program, a 21st-century study of UFO sightings. To the left is an image taken from a video released by the Defense Department’s Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program of a 2004 encounter near San Diego between two Navy F/A-18F fighter jets and an unknown object.

Chicago O'Hare Airport Sighting, Location: Chicago, Illinois, November 2006

At approximately 16:15 CST on Tuesday November 7, 2006, federal authorities at Chicago O'Hare International Airport received a report that a group of twelve airport employees were witnessing a metallic, saucer-shaped craft hovering over Gate C-17. The vessel then shot up into the air so quickly that it punched a hole in the clouds. Flight 446 was getting ready to fly to North Carolina from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, when a United Airlines employee on the tarmac noticed a dark grey metallic craft hovering over gate C17. That day, November 7, 2006, a total of 12 United employees—and a few witnesses outside the airport—spotted the saucer-shaped craft around 4:15 p.m. The witnesses say it hovered for about five minutes before shooting upward, where it broke a hole in the clouds—enough that pilots and mechanics could see the blue sky. 

Stephenville, Texas, UFO Sightings: Stephenville, Texas January 2008

On January 8, 2008 in Stephenville, Texas, one of the larger UFO sightings in the United States occurred. Dozens of witnesses reported a large object in the evening sky that hovered above the community before it took off at high speed.

Steve Allen, a pilot, observed the object from the ground and described it as being a half-mile with flashing strobe lights. He also said that it was pursued by two fighter jets, when it disappeared at a speed he estimated to be 3,000 mph. Another witness was local law enforcement officer Leroy Gateman who reported it as a red glowing object suspended 3,000 feet in the air. "It was so fast I couldn't track it with my binoculars," said Gateman.

Witness Rick Sorrells says he saw the object while deer hunting in the woods. "You look at the trees, and it was right here," he told ABC News. He estimated it to be the length of "three or four football fields," though he could not be entirely sure due to his vantage point. Sorrells later claimed that military helicopters have since overflown his property at low altitude and that he has been getting strange phone calls. He also claims that an unknown man once came to his door and told him, “Son we have the same caliber weapons you have, but we have more of them…you need to shut your mouth about what you saw."

Freight company owner and pilot Steve Allen, 50, and a small group of friends saw a mile-long, half-mile wide UFO that was “positively, absolutely nothing from these parts. … It flipped us all out.”  Allen said they saw brilliant white lights at the corners of the large object, which came within a mile of them.  The lights reconfigured to form an arch, then formed two vertical lines of flashing lights before the object burst into a dirty white flame and “simply vanished,” he said. Ten minutes later, the group saw the lights reappear in the opposite direction with the military jets and large red orbs trailing behind.  It was about that time that Constable Lee Roy Gaitan stepped outside, looked up and saw the red orbs.  Gaitan, who was up for reelection and concerned about publicity, waited until others spoke publicly before admitting what he witnessed.

Two weeks later, after first denying it had any jets in the air that night, nearby Carswell Air Force Base announced that it had 10 F-16s in the air that night. Six months later, the Mutual UFO Network acquired the Federal Aviation Administration’s radar data from the night in question and discovered evidence of a UFO heading toward the so-called Western White House – then-President George W. Bush’s ranch in Crawford, Texas. MUFON determined the F-16s came within a mile of the UFO, which did not have a transponder and traveled at between 49 mph and 2,100 mph.  Carswell Air Force Base gave MUFON its flights logs for that night, as requested, but all of the information was redacted.

bottom of page